mercredi 12 décembre 2012

Recipe For Egg Muffins (Revisited again)


Recipe For Egg Muffins (Revisited again)


Egg "Muffins"
These little "muffins" made of egg, veggies, cheese and optional meat are a perfect grab-and-go breakfast!

First posted in 2005, updated January 2008; now I use the individual silicone cups pictured above to bake my egg muffins.)  I was adding posts to the Recipe Favoritessection of my recipe archives and was shocked to notice I only had one recipe for favorite breakfasts. Since I'm currently doing phase one for a few weeks egg muffins are something I'll be cooking this weekend, and there's no doubt they're a recipe favorite. I've gone through a few versions to get the recipe just right and picked up a few tricks that I think you'll like.

Egg Muffins
I don't think of egg muffins as only for people who are eating the South Beach Dietway, although they're perfect for any phase of the diet. They're high in protein, gluten-free, and perfect to feed to kids. This is a great idea for breakfast for anyone who's busy in the morning and wants something that can be made ahead and eaten on-the-go.

Use silicone muffin tins or individual silicone cups, spray them with nonstick spray, and put them on a large cookie sheet to catch spills. The two ingredients I think are essential are cheese and green onions. Other than that, the varieties are endless. Put cheese, meat, or veggies in the muffin cups first, then pour in beaten eggs.  (Now I usually use the individual silicone muffins cups pictured above, but if you'd like a bigger "muffin" these are a little bigger.)

For me, two small muffins is the right amount for breakfast. No matter how many you eat, smaller ones reheat in the microwave more quickly, so they don't get overdone. I fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full.

When muffins are done, loosen them with a knife before popping them out of the silicone muffin pan. Here's how big they are when they're cooked.

Let the muffins cool for 15-20 minutes before you store them in the refrigerator.  (I used to freeze them, but I find they keep in the fridge for over a week and I like them best when they haven't been frozen.)

Here's my favorite way to do it. As soon as the muffins have cooled, put two at a time into small plastic bags. Put the bags in the refrigerator. Then when you need a quick breakfast, open the bag, pop in the microwave until they're hot, grab the bag and run out the door with a quick breakfast. (Don't heat for too long or they can get rubbery.)  I confess, I eat them in the car on the way to school.


Egg Muffins Revisited 
(Makes 12 muffins, recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from The South Beach Diet book.

Ingredients:
15 eggs (for silicone muffin pans, use 12 eggs for metal muffin tins or individual silicone cups. You can use less egg yolks and more egg white if you prefer.)
1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional, if you have food allergies or don't have Spike, use any type of seasoning blend that's good with eggs.)
1-2 cups grated low fat cheese (I like sharp cheddar or a blend of cheddar/Jack cheese, use less cheese if using meat)
Optional, but highly recommended, 3 green onions diced small.
Optional: chopped veggies such as blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. (Using veggies will reduce the fat content)
Optional: diced Canadian bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 F. Use regular or silicone muffin pan, 12 muffin size. If using silicone pan, spray with nonstick spray. If using regular muffin pan, put two paper liners into each slot, then spray liner with nonstick spray.

In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, if using, cheese and green onions. You want the muffin cups to be about 2/3 full, with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients. Break eggs into large measuring bowl with pour spout, add Spike, and beat well. (I used to add a bit of half and half or milk, but lately I like the way they turn out without it.) Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full. I like to stir slightly with a fork. Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep more than a week in the refrigerator. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated, but I like them best when they are just refrigerated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. Microwave on high about 1-2 minutes to reheat.

Printer Friendly Recipe
 
South Beach Suggestions:
If you're a South Beach Diet fan, you can find lots of great recipes for breakfast in theEggs and Breakfast Dishes section of my recipe archives. There are even pancakes or egg burritos, made South Beach friendly. Remember, breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

Nutritional Information?
I chose the South Beach Diet to manage my weight partly so I wouldn't have to count calories, carbs, points, or fat grams, but if you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. 

More Phase one Breakfasts:
Breakfast Casserole with Mushrooms, Green Bell Peppers, and Feta
Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta with Eggs
Southwestern Egg Casserole
Eggs with Red Pepper, Basil, and Cheese
Scrambled Eggs with Mushrooms and Feta

Other Bloggers Who Made Egg Muffins:(Recipes from other blogs may not always be South Beach Diet friendly, check ingredients.)
Mini-Spinach Frittatas from Sugarlaws
Stilton, Leek, and Pepper Egg Muffins from Food Stories
Cottage Cheese Muffins from 101 Cookbooks
Cottage Cheese and Egg Muffins with Ham and Cheddar Cheese from Closet Cooking
Egg Muffins from A Veggie Venture
Spicy Baked Egg Muffins from Lisa's Kitchen
Cottage Cheese Muffins from Nami-Nami
(If you're a blogger who posted a version of this and I missed it, feel free to e-mail me your link)

Cottage Cheese and Egg Muffins for Phase 2 or 3: 
(these contain a small amount of flour, but they're delicious!)
Cottage Cheese and Egg Breakfast Muffins with Bacon and Green Onions
Cottage Cheese and Egg Breakfast Muffins with Ham and Cheddar

Blogger Disclosure:
Posts may include links to my affiliate account at Amazon.com, and Kalyn's Kitchen earns a few cents on the dollar if readers purchase the items I recommend, so thanks for supporting my blog when you shop at Amazon!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire